This course explores the Buddha’s teachings on samadhi: the effort of persistence, the breadth and depth of mindfulness, and the increasing steadiness and stillness of mind. It is the power and balance of these three trainings that leads naturally to insight and release.
(Recorded during June – July 2014 Class)
- Samadhi: The arising of the five jhanic factors and the abandoning of the five hindrances by Mark Nunberg
- Sati & Samadhi by Venerable Bhikkhu Analayo
- Chapters V, VI, VII in Bhikkhu Bodhi’s book, The Noble Eightfold Path: Way to the End of Suffering.
- Read chapters 1, 3, & 6 on Mindfulness, Energy and Concentration in Ajahn Thiradhammo’s book; Contemplations on the Seven Factors of Awakening.
- Daily Life Jhana by Ajahn Sucitto, 4-21-2016
- Section on “The Four Right Exertions” found in Wings to Awakening by Thanissaro Bhikkhu
- “Making a Joyful Effort” an article by Christina Feldman in Insight Journal
- Taking Responsibility for Our Thoughts:?Reflections on the Vitakkasanth?na Sutta? by Mark W. Muesse, Insight Journal 2001
- Joy in Effort by Thanissaro Bhikkhu
- Jhana Not by the Numbers by Thanissaro Bhikkhu
- Mindfulness and Concentration Course at IMC taught by Thanissaro Bhikkhu, talks and handouts
- Bhante Gunaratana, Eight Mindful Steps to Happiness, chapter on concentration: Part One and Part Two
- Detachment within activity by Ajahn Chah (Jhanic Factors)