The ten perfections of the heart include: generosity, morality, renunciation, wisdom, energy, patience, truthfulness, resolution, lovingkindness, and equanimity. Please join us in uncovering the compassionate intention to take care of our heart and the world as expressed by these ten wholesome qualities of heart.
(Recorded during March – April 2013 Class)
Week 1 – Meditation, Talk
Week 2 – Meditation, Talk
Week 3 – Meditation, Talk
Week 4 – Meditation, Talk
Week 5 – Meditation, Talk
Week 6 – Meditation, Talk
Week 7 – Meditation, Talk
Week 8 – Meditation, Talk
- The Noble Eightfold Path: The Way to the End of Suffering by Bhikkhu Bodhi
- Right View and Right Intention
- Life and Times of Sulak Sivaraks out of the Kyoto Journal
- Resources and Themes for Reflection: Patience, Energy and Determination
- Joyful Effort by Christina Feldman in Insight Journal
- Viriya: Courageous Energy, a talk by Joseph Goldstein from last year’s 3-month IMS retreat
- Earthworm Practice Ajahn Passano
- Question: Effort Bhante Gunaratana
- Joy in Effort from the talks of Thanissaro Bhikku
- Single-Minded Determination from the talks of Thanissaro Bhikku
- Page of quotes is compiled by Gil Fronsdal from a course on the Paramis at the Insight Meditation Center:
- THE 10 SPIRITUAL PRACTICES OF ‘LETTING GO’ (Ten Paramis) by Steve Armstrong
- Bhikku Bodhi’s lectures from 2003 on the Paramis:
- Parami, Ways to Cross Life’s Floods by Ajahn Sucitto
- Pay Attention, For Goodness’ Sake: Practicing the Perfections of the Heart – The Buddhist Path of Kindness by Sylvia Boorstein, Available for purchase
- The Ten Perfections: A Study Guide by Thanissaro Bhikkhu
- Quotes and Suggestions on Renunciation from Ajahn Sucitto’s, Paramis: Ways to Cross Life’s Floods
- RENUNCIATION: THE HIGHEST HAPPINESS by Sister Siripanna
- Finding Patience: How to survive a traffic jam—on the road, or in the heart By Michele McDonald
- Kakacupama Sutta: The Simile of the Saw (excerpt) translated from the Pali by Thanissaro Bhikkhu
- Saying Yes to an Open Heart by Diana Winston in Buddhadharma, Summer 2010
- Gil Fronsdal has written an excellent book that has good chapters on generosity and virtue, Chapters 8, 9 and 10. You will also find chapters on lovingkindness, patience, wisdom.
- Joseph Goldstein — Viriya (effort) – Exploring the different meanings and nuances of Viriya; energy effort, courage and perseverance.
- Carol Wilson — Generosity
- Greg Scharf — Patience – The poet John Ciardi described patience as the art of caring slowly. This talk examines the quality of patience in terms of its essential role in our practice.
- Carol Wilson – Resolution/Determination …a fundamental support for the development of mind/heart, in and out of retreat.
- Susie Harrington – Equanimity: Being at Rest in the Storms – A discussion about equanimity including what it is and is not, the contributing factors, the protection and stability it brings to our lives, and how we cultivate it.