Want to volunteer leading meditation at Shakopee Women’s Correctional Facility?
We facilitate a meditation circle of up to 12 women every Saturday from
8:10 – 10:10 am. We also offer a half-day retreat once a quarter and a monthly
meditation session on Sunday mornings, 9:00 – 10:00. Volunteers find this to be a very
rewarding experience which deepens their practice.
Requirements of this Volunteer Effort:
– Background check, application approval, and annual training as a Shakopee volunteer. The
initial training is three hours. Subsequent annual training sessions are about an hour.
– Volunteers need to be able to transport themselves to the prison.
– Only female volunteers are permitted to go by themselves. A male volunteer must have
a female volunteer accompany him.
– Willingness to commit to approximately one Saturday a month and one half-day retreat
twice a year. Ideally, the volunteer would also be willing to lead some of the monthly
Sunday morning sessions.
– We have also been asked to conduct a weekly meditation session for the Chemical
Dependency program in the prison. This request is currently on hold until we are able to
recruit more volunteers. We would likely rotate this responsibility among ourselves so
that we would each lead the session about once a month.
If you are interested, or have questions, please contact Jan Young, who is our volunteer
liaison with Shakopee, at email@example.com.