The Buddhist Studies Program is designed for people who have attended three or more mindfulness meditation retreats and have a commitment to daily meditation practice. The course includes dharma talks, small and large group discussions, and guided sitting time. Participants will be expected to use the teachings as a focus of their meditation and daily life practice. Led by Mark Nunberg.
Welcome to folks participating from out of town! All Common Ground programs are offered freely in the spirit of generosity. To learn more about supporting the center and our teachers, click here.
Next class: Dependent Co-Arising
Eight Mondays, January 14 – March 4, 7:30 – 9:00 p.m.; Optional Sitting Period, 7:00 – 7:30 p.m.
This class will study the Buddha’s teachings on the conditional nature of experience. In his teaching on dependent origination, the Buddha offers his insight into the causes behind our experience of suffering and how we can break this repeating stressful cycle. The course includes Dharma talks, small and large group discussions, and guided sitting time. Participants will be expected to use the teachings as a focus of their meditation and daily life practice. Led by Mark Nunberg.
Click here to register
- 2019 Class Meditations and Talks
- Recordings from past course on Dependent Co-arising, January – February 2013Week 1 – TalkWeek 3 – Meditation, Talk (The recording for this talk on the wheel of life started 20 minutes late.)
- Audio Talk, Overview of Dependent Origination by Sally Armstrong
- Audio Talk, Transcendent Dependent Arising – A Map of Practice by Sally Armstrong
- Good Overview Article, Seeing the Wheel, Stopping the Spin by Christina Feldman, Insight Journal Full Moon Day – July 15, 2011
- The following book and the Companion pdf text that accompanies the book would be great for folks who wish to dig deeper into this topic: Under the Bodhi Tree: Buddha’s Original Vision of Dependent Co-arising Ajahn Buddhadasa. And, Companion to Under the Bodhi Tree: readings on pa?iccasamupp?da from P?li suttas. Mary Clark has arranged for Moon Palace Books https://www.moonpalacebooks.com (a locally-owned bookseller in the neighborhood) to offer the book for us at a 20% discount, just let them know that you are taking the class at Common Ground.
- The Shape of Suffering; A Study of Dependent Co-Arising by Thanissaro Bhikkhu
- Kalaha-vivada Sutta: Quarrels & Disputes, Sn.4.11 translated from the Pali by Thanissaro Bhikkhu
- The Wheel of Life: Paticca-Samuppada
- An Interactive Tour of the Wheel of Life
- Thanissaro Bhikkhu has a ten part series on Dependent Origination at this webpage. Scroll down until you find the talks on dependent co-arising.