The ten perfections of the heart include: generosity, morality, renunciation, wisdom, energy, patience, truthfulness, resolution, lovingkindness, and equanimity. Please join us in uncovering the compassionate intention to take care of our heart and the world as expressed by these ten wholesome qualities of heart.
- The Noble Eightfold Path: The Way to the End of Suffering by Bhikkhu Bodhi
- Right View and Right Intention
- Life and Times of Sulak Sivaraks out of the Kyoto Journal
- Resources and Themes for Reflection: Patience, Energy and Determination
- Joyful Effort by Christina Feldman in Insight Journal
- Viriya: Courageous Energy, a talk by Joseph Goldstein from last year’s 3-month IMS retreat
- Earthworm Practice Ajahn Passano
- Question: Effort Bhante Gunaratana
- Joy in Effort from the talks of Thanissaro Bhikku
- Single-Minded Determination from the talks of Thanissaro Bhikku
- Page of quotes is compiled by Gil Fronsdal from a course on the Paramis at the Insight Meditation Center:
- THE 10 SPIRITUAL PRACTICES OF ‘LETTING GO’ (Ten Paramis) by Steve Armstrong
- Bhikku Bodhi’s lectures from 2003 on the Paramis:
- Parami, Ways to Cross Life’s Floods by Ajahn Sucitto
- Pay Attention, For Goodness’ Sake: Practicing the Perfections of the Heart – The Buddhist Path of Kindness by Sylvia Boorstein, Available for purchase
- The Ten Perfections: A Study Guide by Thanissaro Bhikkhu
- Quotes and Suggestions on Renunciation from Ajahn Sucitto’s, Paramis: Ways to Cross Life’s Floods
- RENUNCIATION: THE HIGHEST HAPPINESS by Sister Siripanna
- Finding Patience: How to survive a traffic jam—on the road, or in the heart By Michele McDonald
- Kakacupama Sutta: The Simile of the Saw (excerpt) translated from the Pali by Thanissaro Bhikkhu
- Saying Yes to an Open Heart by Diana Winston in Buddhadharma, Summer 2010
- Gil Fronsdal has written an excellent book that has good chapters on generosity and virtue, Chapters 8, 9 and 10. You will also find chapters on lovingkindness, patience, wisdom.
- Joseph Goldstein — Viriya (effort) – Exploring the different meanings and nuances of Viriya; energy effort, courage and perseverance.
- Carol Wilson — Generosity
- Greg Scharf — Patience – The poet John Ciardi described patience as the art of caring slowly. This talk examines the quality of patience in terms of its essential role in our practice.
- Carol Wilson – Resolution/Determination …a fundamental support for the development of mind/heart, in and out of retreat.
- Susie Harrington – Equanimity: Being at Rest in the Storms – A discussion about equanimity including what it is and is not, the contributing factors, the protection and stability it brings to our lives, and how we cultivate it.