From the Buddha on down to our teachers today, all have extolled the value of spiritual community and friendship in helping us develop, maintain and deepen our practice. Community Groups is the general name given to refer to a diverse collection of formal and informal practice opportunities sponsored by Common Ground Meditation Center. Community Groups are led by experienced community members who act as volunteer facilitators.
Community Groups currently meeting (check calendar for complete and up-to-date info and Zoom links):
- Be Queer Now Meditation Sangha, weekly on Wednesday, 7:30-9:00pm
- Black, Indigenous, People of Color Community Group, the 1st and 3rd Thursday of each month, 6:30 – 8:00 p.m. (1st Thursday on Zoom, 3rd Thursday in person; on break in August.) For more information, click here.
- Christianity-Buddhism Book Group, one Saturday/Sunday morning a month (varies); contact: email@example.com or Jean at 612-423-2926
- Common Ground Book Club that reads books on race and racism; certain Sunday mornings, 8:45-10:15am; contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Community Group for Organizers & Social Justice Activists, second Thursday of the month, 6:00-7:30pm
- Mental Health Professionals Community Groups, more info here
- Millenials Sangha, 4th Friday of the month, 7:00-8:30pm.
- Mindfulness and Depression, First and Third Sunday of the month, 4:00-5:30pm
- Refirement Community Group for Retirees, Third Thursday of the month, 12:00-1:00pm
For information on the process for forming new community groups, please refer to this document. See below for a background video by Shelly Graf describing the benefits of practicing in these community groups.
(CG Facilitators’ Meeting, Feb 2021)