From the Buddha on down to our teachers today, all have extolled the value of spiritual community and friendship in helping us develop, maintain and deepen our practice. Community Groups is the general name given to refer to a diverse collection of formal and informal practice opportunities sponsored by Common Ground Meditation Center. Community Groups are led by experienced community members who act as volunteer facilitators.
Community Groups currently meeting (check calendar for complete and up-to-date info and Zoom links):
- Be Queer Now Meditation Sangha, weekly on Wednesday, 7:30-9:00pm
- Christianity-Buddhism Book Group, one Saturday/Sunday morning a month (varies); contact: email@example.com or Jean at 612-423-2926
- Common Ground Book Club that reads books on race and racism; certain Sunday mornings, 8:45-10:15am; contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Community Group for Organizers & Social Justice Activists, second Thursday of the month, 6:00-7:30pm
- Dharma Friends Sit & Discussion, every other Sunday, 7:00-8:00pm
- Millenials Sangha, 4th Friday of the month, 7:00-8:30pm.
- Mindfulness and Depression, First and Third Sunday of the month, 4:00-5:30pm
- Mindful Self-Compassion Community Group, First Monday of the month, 10:00-11:00am
- Refirement Community Group for Retirees, Third Thursday of the month, 12:00-1:00pm
- Support Group for Friends of People with Mental Illness, second Sunday of the month, 1:00-2:30pm; for more info text Jean: 612-423-2926
For information on the process for forming new community groups, please refer to this document. See below for a background video by Shelly Graf describing the benefits of practicing in these community groups.
(CG Facilitators’ Meeting, Feb 2021)